Sunday, July 12, 2009

Cheesy Chicken & Rice Bake


When I'm making a grocery list I often ask my husband, "what would you like for a dinner?" He always replies the same, "chicken and rice," which is this Campbells soup recipe. It's fine with me because I love it too and it is probably one of the simplest dinners to prepare out there. You don't have to precook the chicken or rice, you just throw it in a casserole dish and bake it. It has great flavor and we eat it regularly.
The recipe came off of the cream of chicken Campbells soup label a few years back. Now the soup label has this same recipe on it with a different name because they added veggies to it. We are bad and don't care for the veggies in it but you can add one cup of frozen vegetables in it if you'd like.
This recipe only serves enough for 3 or 4 servings. Between my husband and I and our two little boys it's gone. So I've tried doubling it for more people and for some reason it did not work out. The rice was hard and it was all watery and weird even with extra cooking time. I think it has something to do with needing to be in a shallow baking dish. So now if I want more I make it in two separate shallow baking dishes and bake it together and that seems to work fine. So I thought I'd give a heads up to anyone with a large family. Doubling it might work if your baking dish is very large and shallow.

Recipe:
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 1/3 c water
3/4 c uncooked regular long-grain white rice
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp pepper
2 large chicken breasts, halved
1 c shredded cheddar cheese

Mix soup, water, rice, onion powder, and pepper in a 2 qt shallow baking dish. Top with chicken. Cover. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 min. or until chicken is no longer pink and rice is done. Uncover. Stir rice and sprinkle the top with cheese. Cover again and then serve once the cheese melts.

Print

No comments:

Post a Comment