Thursday, February 25, 2010

Potato Cheese Soup

This recipe came from my friend Stephanie who was a college roommate of mine. I've changed it slightly but every time Steph would make it for us we'd all devour it. It is creamy, cheesy, and simply delicious! Definitely one of my favorite soups.


Potato Cheese Soup
by Chelsey W.

8 medium potatoes
4 c chicken broth (enough to boil the potatoes in)
1 c half/half milk (I usually just use the milk in my fridge)
1 1/2 c evaporated milk
3 T butter or margarine
3 T flour
2-3 c sharp cheddar cheese
salt & pepper

Peel and cut potatoes into bite size chunks (Potatoes will cook down slightly). Boil potatoes in the chicken broth in a soup pot until tender but not mushy. Meanwhile in a separate pot heat butter until bubbly and add in flour making a roux. Then stir in the milks. Bring to a slight boil then remove from heat after the flour lumps are gone. Add in shredded cheese and stir until melted. Add salt and pepper to the cheese sauce to taste (don't let cheese sauce boil or it will turn grainy). The amount of cheese is determined by taste. After the cheese sauce is complete add it to the cooked potatoes and broth. Stir soup and serve.
Print

1 comment:

  1. I, too, had a college roommate who made a cheese soup...only it called for Cheez Whiz. Thanks for giving me an alternative!

    ReplyDelete